Thursday, November 19, 2015

I Hope Benjamin Watson Gets Under Your Skin

In the wake of Ferguson and the maddening and disheartening number of racially charged police shootings over the last year and a half, there has been no end to the commentary on the news and social media. Some has been helpful. Some has been despicable. Some has brought clarity. Some has only muddied the waters.

Benjamin Watson is a star tight end for the New Orleans Saints. More importantly, he is a thoughtful and outspoken Christian. You may have read his Facebook post response to Ferguson back in 2014 when he wrote it, but I only recently came across it. It went viral and was viewed by millions...for good reason. He summarized his thoughts under the following 12 headings:

I’M ANGRY
I’M FRUSTRATED
I’M FEARFUL
I’M EMBARRASSED
I’M SAD
I’M SYMPATHETIC
I’M OFFENDED
I’M CONFUSED
I’M INTROSPECTIVE
I’M HOPELESS
I’M HOPEFUL
I’M ENCOURAGED

Please take the time to read how he unpacks each of these statements. You can find the full post reprinted here. You can watch him share an abbreviated version here:



I don't know about you, but after reading (or watching) that, I want to hear from Benjamin on race relations and the power of the gospel to break down the dividing walls of hostility. If you're with me, you might want to check this out. He will be doing a webcast on Nov 24, at 7:30pm to have a conversation about race with pastor Darrin Patrick. You may also want to order a copy of his new book called, Under Our Skin.

May the Lord use his efforts to shed divine light and wisdom on these complex issues, and bring about more blood-bought unity across all kinds of blood lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment