Saturday, December 20, 2014

McGarvey Christmas Letter

Dear family & friends,

Merry Christmas! For the annual McGarvey family round-up, we’ll go with a sort of year-in-pictures / kid interview format.

I’d love to begin with a picture that captures my sentiments exactly for my sweet wife of 18 years.

Amen!
Hannah recently put together a little slide show of pictures of us for our 18th anniversary. One of the things Beth said after viewing it captures well how very gracious God has been. She said, “As I watched the slideshow, I realized that it didn’t kick up any bad or painful memories.” What grace to produce and preserve such peace in our marriage over the years!


I was a pirate in a former life. Beth was an indie rocker. We're perfect for each other.
This covenant love has produced quite a lot – most notably these five wonderful image bearers:



Ben (3) is one funny guy. He keeps us all smiling.
Do not -- I repeat -- do not try to take this guy's burger. He might bite!
Actually, he's quite the gentlemanly defender and protector.
Ben sometimes moonlights as a boy-king in the Far East.
Excerpts from the interview with Ben: 

If you were stranded on a desert island for a year what three things would you want to have? 
"Trains."
"What else, Ben?"
"It’s just trains."
"You need 2 more things."
"Sand."
"There would be plenty of that already there."
"Buckets, and a shovel."
           
What is your favorite thing about our family? "Mommy"
What are the most important qualities in a friend? "Mommy"
What do you want to be when you grow up? "Oh, maybe a monster."
If you could travel to one place? "Barnes & Noble"

What are your dreams for your life?
"Uh, dreams? I dreamed about mom."
"What did you dream?"
"I cried."
???

Favorite food? "Goldfish" (he was eating them at the time)
Favorite drink? "Apple juice."
Favorite vegetable? "Probaly broccoli"
Favorite superhero? "Oh! The Incredibles!"
Favorite color? "Oh. It’s probaly orange."
Favorite person? "Mommy!"
Favorite toy? "Trains"
Favorite thing to do? "Play with trains"

Jonathan "Jono" (7) is a wonderful combition of meekness and tenacity.

Jono got to go to his first Phillies game this year!
You never know what will emerge from the basement on Saturday mornings. 
Pronto Pups! An essential ingredient in the special "Dude Time" Dad has with Jono in MI on vacation.
Excerpts from the interview with Jono (7):

The desert island Q:
"Food -- healthy, and water, and ... supplies?"
"That last one was way too general."
"A metal detector."

If you could be in a movie you’ve seen, what character would you be? Why?
"Big Hero Six." (He hasn’t seen this movie.) "And Fred."
"Why Fred?"
"Because he’s cool and he can jump super high and shoot fire out of his mouth. He’s Fredzilla."

What is the hardest part about being your age?
"That I always have to clean up. And going to school."

What is the best part about being your age?
"I get to play Legos a lot. And I don’t have to have that much homework."

What is your favorite Bible verse and/or truth about God?
"John 3:16 ... and Eph 6:1-2"
To that second one, “Really?”
“Well, I SOMETIMES do it.”

If you could be an animal for a day, which one would you choose?
(without hesitation) "A Florida panther because they have super stealth, night vision, retractable claws, and they have really far jumping and they can climb trees very well, and they have really cute babies – BUT NOT THE BOYS!" (i.e. the boys don’t have the babies)

If you could have a time machine, what time in history would you visit?
"Definitely not the Pharaoh time, cause he would try to kill me."

If you could be a superhero, which one and why?
"Hulk, Well, no. Colossus. Because he’s superstrong, metal folds out on him and he’s invincible."
"Why do you want to be invincible?"
"Actually, I want to be Fred."

When are you the happiest?
"When I get to go to bed. And sleep in. And when I will be in heaven."

What is your favorite time of the day?
"Summer." (?)

What is your favorite thing about our family
"That they’re all hilarious." (Right back at you, Mr. Summer-is-my-favorite-time-of-day!)

If genie granted you 3 wishes, what would they be?
"Nothing, nothing, and nothing. I don’t want anything. I have plenty."

Would you want to ask for something for someone else?
"Shoes for the needy. Clothes. Food."

What do you want to be when you grow up
"An animal scientist."

If you could travel to one place, where would it be?
"Australia, because of the animals, like Tasmanian devils. I would go with armor on, because they (the animals) would attack me."

Do you have a joke to share?
"Okay. What do you call a rat that eats pie? A pirate."


Lily (10) is sweet, cheeky, spunky, and can climb like a monkey.

Lily painting an owl mug in MI during her special Daddy-Daughter date time. 
Lily's going to make a good momma someday!

Excerpts from the interview with Lily: 

Desert island Q – one year – 3 things: 
"My family, a lot of food, a Bible."

What do you think your husband will be like?
"Like you (dad) – that’s what I want." 
(I didn't prompt her. I promise! No children were bribed in the making of this Christmas letter.)

What’s your favorite childhood memory so far?
"My surprise 10th birthday party. I loved that Hannah and Talitha planned all the games." 

What is your favorite Bible verse?
"Psalm 100."
And favorite truth about God?
"To know that God is love."

What person in history would you like to meet and hang out with?
"Jesus, when he was calling all the little children to hug them. I want to hug Jesus."

When are you the happiest?
"When I get to hug mommy and daddy."

What is your favorite time of the day?
"When, on a Friday, I get home from school."

What are the most important qualities in a friend?
"They have to stick with you no matter what."

If genie granted you 3 wishes, what would they be?
"That I could fly. That I could snap my fingers like Mary Poppins and things would go back in order. A perfectly organized house."

What do you want to be when you grow up?
"A volleyball player or babysit animals – doesn’t matter what kind of animals."

If you could travel to one place?
"Either Niagra Falls, Angel Falls, or Victoria Falls."

Dreams for your life
"I want to three or four or five kids. I want to work with animals and study nature."

Do you have a joke to share?
"What did the casket say to the other casket? Is that you, coffin?"

Favorite food?
"Broccoli cheddar soup (but not in a bread bowl). Rice & angel hair spaghetti."


Sam (12) is our resident lawyer, comedian, and Marvel Comics expert.

Sam and his impressive replica of Olaf.
"007" Sam and his partners in crime-fighting
We've experimented with some new forms of discipline this year.
Excerpt from the interview with Sam: 

Desert island – one year – 3 things:
"A luxury yacht."
"Sam, you're stuck on this island for a year. No escape vehicles."
"Is it like a big island, or a small island with just like a palm tree and a coconut?"
"A smaller island, and yes, with a palm trees and coconuts." 
"Okay. Bear Grylls, all the people in my immediate family who would WANT to be there with me (nice of him to give each of us the choice), and food -- enough food and water for one year. And, a hang glider – so I can fly around the island. No, no! A flying squirrel suit! And a jet pack."
           
What is your favorite Bible verse and/or truth about God?
"That he’s always there for you – even when you feel like there’s no hope or something really bad has happened. No matter what’s happened, he’ll never leave you or forsake you."

If you could be an animal for a day, which one?
"A penguin – so I would actually have an excuse for liking the cold so much. And you wouldn’t make me wear a coat."

If you could have a time machine, what time in history would you visit?
"Is this like a normal time machine, or is this like the DeLorean?"
"Either one."
"I'd go to the future. BACK to the future! Probably to see where my life would be in a few years. So I would know if I need to kill a butterfly in the past."
"WHAT?"
"You know, if you do one thing different in the past it changes the entire time stream. So, if I killed a butterfly in the past, my future would be different."

What person in history would you like to meet and hang out with?
"You, dad. (again, no bribes were distributed in the making of this Christmas letter) ... Jesus. When he raised Lazarus from the dead. Also to be there a bit before to see when Lazarus died."

If you could be a superhero, which one and why?
"Quicksilver – because he’s hilarious and he’s super fast. He’s so fast that everything around him seems to be in ultra slow motion."

Favorite movie:
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Avengers, and Guardians of the Galaxy"

When are you the happiest?
"When my dad isn’t peppering me with questions for the Christmas letter."
           
What is your favorite time of the day?
(with a smirk) "Summer." (we had both gotten a kick out of Jono's "summer" answer)
           
If genie granted you 3 wishes, what would they be?
"Infinite wishes! (I’ve been preparing for that for SO LONG!)"

What do you want to be when you grow up?
"I’m not really sure. Whatever God has planned for me. ... I’d like to act in a movie."

If you could travel to one place?
"Either England, so we can hunt wild boars in a coffee shop (sorry, that's an inside joke) or New Zealand with dad – he has to be there."

Dreams for your life:
"That I will have enough money to buy my kids and my siblings' kids the best Christmas and birthday presents, and I’ll be THAT uncle. To have enough money to buy my dad a log cabin in the mountains where he can write books. And enough money so I and all my siblings and all our kids can come and visit GPA and GMA."


Hannah (14) is hard-working, conscientious, athletic and artistic.


Special daddy-daughter date time at Craig's Cruisers in MI on vacation
Hannah made 2nd team all-conference in volleyball. Beth coached the team this year.
Excerpts from the interview with Hannah: 

Desert island – one year – 3 things:
"Not a book! Pocket knife, change of clothes, and rope."

What do you think your husband will be like?
"I don’t know. Athletic. Outgoing. Considerate. Hard-working. Wants a lot of kids! Follows Jesus."

What is the hardest part about being your age?
"Having to babysit my younger siblings."

What is your favorite Bible verse?
"Philippians 4:13 & Isaiah 41:10."
Truth about God?
"He never sleeps and I can pray to him at any time because he’s always there." 

If you could be an animal for a day, which one?
"A mountain lion or grasshopper."

If you could have a time machine, what time in history would you visit?
"Back to the garden to tell Eve not to eat the fruit! ... The birth of Jesus, and when he was doing his miracles."

When are you the happiest?
"When we’re doing something as a whole family, like playing a sport or doing a craft or when we're on vacation."

What is your favorite time of the day?
"When I get to go to sleep."

What is your favorite thing about our family
"That we’re crazy and energetic."

What are the most important qualities in a friend?
"You can talk to them about anything; loving, funny."
           
If genie granted you 3 wishes, what would they be?
"The ability to fly, be 6’2”, and read people’s minds."

What do you want to be when you grow up?
"A kindergarten teacher, then stay-at-home mom (of 6 kids!), and a basketball or volleyball coach (like mom!)."

Favorite food?
"Broccoli cheddar soup and wings."


If you made it this far, you are to be commended! I think this is our longest Christmas letter to date.

As we head into 2015...


May the LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you his peace (Numbers 6:24-26) ... peace that only comes through Jesus, the Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6-7). He died in our place on the cross, in order to reconcile us to God and bless us with every spiritual blessing. May you richly experience that peace and those blessings over this Christmas season and in the year to come!

With much love,
The McGarveys -- Chris, Beth, Hannah, Sam, Lily, Jono, Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment