Friday, January 29, 2016

Does God Get Weary? Yes and no.

Does God get weary?

No. He's self-sufficient and omnipotent. He needs no sleep and he doesn't get tired.
Psalm 121:1-4 I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. ... he who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
Isaiah 40:28 Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.
Yes. Our sin and our hypocritical worship and words can weary him.
Isaiah 1:11-14 "What to me is the multitude of your sacrifices? says the LORD; I have had enough of burnt offerings... "When you come to appear before me, who has required of you this trampling of my courts? Bring no more vain offerings; incense is an abomination to me. ... they have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them.
Isaiah 7:13 Hear then, O house of David! Is it too little for you to weary men, that you weary my God also
Jeremiah 15:6 You have rejected me, declares the LORD; you keep going backward, so I have stretched out my hand against you and destroyed you-- I am weary of relenting.
Malachi 2:17 You have wearied the LORD with your words. But you say, "How have we wearied him?" By saying, "Everyone who does evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and he delights in them." Or by asking, "Where is the God of justice?"
Isaiah 43:24 ... you have burdened me with your sins; you have wearied me with your iniquities.

Do human beings get weary? Duh. Of course we do. But it's important to see how the Bible speaks of why we get weary, and where we must go with that weariness.
(The people of God have looked for answers everywhere but from God.) Isaiah 47:13 You are wearied with your many counsels; let them stand forth and save you, those who divide the heavens, who gaze at the stars, who at the new moons make known what shall come upon you.
Jeremiah 9:5 Everyone deceives his neighbor, and no one speaks the truth; they have taught their tongue to speak lies; they weary themselves committing iniquity.
(The people of God are weary by their own doing, but they blame it on God. So, God responds.) Micah 6:3 "O my people, what have I done to you? How have I wearied you? Answer me!
The bottom line is...we weary ourselves with our idolatry and sin. We think God's call to repent and trust in him alone is too much to bear; too heavy a burden. We keep pushing away the One who comes to help. And we wear ourselves out running after false gods and saviors.

What burdens God and wearies him is not our continual coming for more grace and mercy. It's our stubborn refusal to call on him and come to him for grace and mercy.
Isaiah 43:22-24 "Yet you did not call upon me, O Jacob; but you have been weary of me, O Israel! ... I have not burdened you with offerings, or wearied you with frankincense.
Our problem is not that God requires to much. Our problem is our unwillingness to trust and obey him. He is burdened when we stubbornly try to bear our own burdens. He gets weary of our refusal to to trade our weariness for his strength and joy and freedom.

Let's see this insanity for what it is and realize that it is the Omnipotent, Kind-Hearted, Stubborn-Love, Burden-Bearer that we push away! We need to hear the good news again. Our great-hearted, resolute Savior came to rescue us and he did not give up or give in.
Isaiah 42:1-4 Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. He will not cry aloud or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street; a bruised reed he will not break, and a faintly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice. He will not grow faint or be discouraged till he has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands wait for his law.
Isaiah 53:4-6, 10-12 Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned-- every one-- to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. ... it was the will of the LORD to crush him; he has put him to grief; ... by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities. ... he bore the sin of many, and makes intercession for the transgressors.
And he did it all so he could say (Matthew 11:28-30),
"Come to me, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
...so we could experience Isaiah 40:28-31:
Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment