Saturday, October 10, 2015

The Only Man With the Right to These Words

Psalm 22:1:
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
If you think about it, Jesus Christ is the only man who can truly utter these words.

Christians sometimes feel forsaken by God. They wonder where God is in their suffering and pain. King David certainly did when he penned these words, but he was not truly forsaken. He is the same man who wrote, “most certainly goodness and mercy will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” David deserved to be forsaken for his sin, yet because of God’s covenantal mercy and steadfast love, he was never truly forsaken. If the promises of God can be trusted, then the promise, “I will never leave you nor forsake you” cannot be broken. Nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus. 

Others may feel forsaken by God. If Jesus is not their Savior, they cannot truly say, “My God, my God!" God is not their god. Someone or something else has first place in their heart and life. No wonder they feel forsaken by their gods. They are no gods at all and they are impotent to help and save. If they accusingly ask God, “Why have you forsaken me?” He has every right to respond, “Forsaken you? You refuse to trust me. You have forsaken me. You are on the path of your own choosing. I am only giving you what your rebellion deserves."

Only Jesus Christ can truly utter those lines. Only he can say, “MY God…MY God, Why have you forsaken ME?" He was THE Son of God. He was perfectly faithful to His Father. And the Father turned his face away. He didn’t just feel forsaken. He really was forsaken. And all so that God-forsakers like us, who trust in Jesus to save them from just condemnation, will never, ever, ever be forsaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment