Monday, January 12, 2015

Hypocrisy And How I Feel

Erik Thoennes (found here, boldface added):
There's this idea that to live out of conformity with how I feel is hypocrisy; but that's a wrong definition of hypocrisy. To live out of conformity to what I believe is hypocrisy. To live in conformity with what I believe, in spite of what I feel, isn't hypocrisy; it's integrity. 
Another way to say this is: there is a world of difference between faking it and fighting it.

You wake up in the morning feeling blue. You're down and you're not even sure why. What is the authentic Christian response? Put on a happy face and bury your emotions? Choke it down and get on with your day, pretending you're fine? That is faking it.

Is the only other alternative to drag through the day like Eeyore? Is that the most authentic way to live?

Take 2. You wake up feeling depressed. You don't want to even get out of bed. You just want to throw in the towel. What is the authentic Christian response?

Is this authentic? Psalm 42:5-6, 8-9, 11:
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you... 
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love, and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life. I say to God, my rock: "Why have you forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?" ... 
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.
Or this? Psalm 103:1-5:
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
If you preach to yourself like the Psalmist, fighting back the blues, rehearsing God's grace, grasping for hope and joy despite how you feel, is that the same as faking it? No. It's called the fight of faith. It's the REAL Christian life in a broken, painful world where God, still seated on his throne, is doing something about it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Pastor Chris! This is an incredibly helpful way to understand integrity.

    ReplyDelete