Thursday, November 13, 2014

Introducing "Purity Thursday"

Temptation to lust abounds. It's everywhere and it's easily accessible. Nevertheless, the biggest problem is not "out there" on the internet. It's "in here," with my heart that can be like a seething cauldron of illicit desire. 

There was obviously no internet in the 1st century, but Jesus knew about our lustful hearts. He knows the human heart better than anyone. He was tempted in every respect, as we are, yet without sin (Heb 4:15). And he says we need to be ruthless in our pursuit of purity. Listen to his words in Matthew 5:27-30: 
"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery.' But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman (or a man) with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her (or him) in his (or her) heart.
If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.
You might be toying with temptation today. You may have given in, repeatedly. You may be totally entangled in the unsatisfying slavery of sexual sin. Do you hear this word from Jesus? If so, then listen to Hebrews 3:15:
"Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."
If this word from Jesus awakens new desires in you, then fight with all your might! Take the sword of the Spirit (Eph 6:17) and start hacking away at the sin that so easily entangles, so you can run FREE, following Jesus (Heb 12:1-2). Talk to someone you trust and ask them to pray for you and hold you accountable. Ask them how they fight for purity. Share ideas. Preach the gospel to each other. Fight for each other's faith!

One of the habits I got into years ago was to write up any strategy for purity that proved helpful to me. I figured it would help me think more clearly about HOW to fight, and I figured I could pass along those strategies to others to help in their fight. Over the years, I've sent not a few of these strategies to different guys who have shared with me their struggles. I hope they've been helpful.

I was reminded of one I wrote up recently and thought I'd share it here. Maybe I'll make it a habit for awhile. Yes, I think so (I really am making this up as I go along - just had to re-title this post). It's not very creative, but I'll call it "Purity Thursday," or "PT." Could also stand for "Purity Therapy." Therapy is defined as, "treatment intended to relieve or heal a disorder." Lustful hearts are disordered hearts. We need gospel therapy for the sake of purity and love. Done. Installment #1 to follow. 

And by the way, if you have or discover any strategies helpful to you, please pass them along. I want all the firepower in my arsenal that I can get! Maybe I'll even share some of them here in weeks to come and you can help a number of others fight the good fight of faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment