Monday, March 14, 2011

Book of the Month

Our present book of the month is Comforts From the Cross by Elyse Fitzpatrick.


I intended to read a little blurb yesterday to give you a feel for the purpose of the book, and I forgot. Here's what I was going to read (from the introduction):
Through this book I'm inviting you to join me in a month's worth of daily "celebrations." These celebrations...[are] all about Jesus Christ: his incarnation, sinless life, substitutionary death, bodily resurrection, ascension, and ongoing reign as Lord of all there is. In other words, we're going to be celebrating the gospel.
I'm assuming that right about now you might be wondering why you would need to celebrate the gospel every day. You might think you already know it; in fact, I'm pretty sure that most of you do. Most of you would be able to clearly articulate the facts of Jesus' birth, death, and resurrection. But this book isn't about mere facts, although these facts are true and significant. This book is about how those facts are to inform, free, gladden, and enliven your soul every day--when you're struggling to balance the checkbook, stuck in traffic or in a hospital bed, or just bored with the same-old-same-old. These facts are so much more than facts, and yet, the longer we walk with God, the more likely we are to forget about them. Here's my perspective: nothing, and I mean nothing, is more important than Jesus Christ and the gospel, and this gospel is meant to be remembered and celebrated every day. (boldfaced emphasis mine)
We don't ever get over our need for the gospel. It is the power of God to save and sanctify and sustain us to the end. That's why we value and pursue Gospel Growth at Bethel. This book will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment