Friday, December 12, 2014

Thanksgiving Assessment

I recently found these questions from Paul Tripp both convicting and helpful.
  • Do you find it easier to complain than to give thanks?
  • Are you easily irritated and quickly impatient?
  • Do mundane hassles get under your skin?
  • Would the people who live nearest to you characterize you as a thankful person or a complaining person?
  • Do you look at your world and find many reasons to complain because things aren’t going your way?
  • Do you look at your world and find yourself blown away at the many reasons you have every day to give thanks?
  • Do you view yourself as one who has been constantly short-changed and neglected?
  • Do you view yourself as one who has been showered with blessings?''
  • How often do you grumble “If only I had _____” or “I wish that _____ was different”?
  • How often do you whisper thanks to God or communicate thanks to those around you?
I'm not encouraged by my honest answers to these questions. I need to repent and I need grace! But God promises grace to the humble (see James 4:6). Sometimes what we most need is to see the pride underneath our ungrateful spirit. Then we can repent, be humbled, and receive the grace that gives thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment